Summer is well underway and with it comes many adventures, outdoor activities and celebrations. Everyone wants to enjoy their summer, not spend time and money dealing with consequences from adventures gone wrong. While you’re out enjoying the weather keep the following summer safety tips in mind.
- Water Safety & Boating – Summer in Minnesota is often spent in or near the water. Wear your life jacket when riding in a boat, kayak, canoe, etc. You never know when the unexpected could happen. Check with your Insurance Agent to verify that you have adequate medical payment coverage on your boat insurance policy. Make sure your comfortable in the water and have proper swimming skills. Watch small children – they often love the water, but don’t know of potential dangers.
- Bicycling – Both bicyclists and motorists need to stay aware of their surroundings. Riding on the roadside and even a trail can present dangers. Always wear a helmet, and have proper lights if you ride at night.
- Heat – When the temperature rises it is important to always drink plenty of water and take breaks as needed. It is easy to get overheated. Also, pay close attention to young children and the elderly. Check on them often in excessive heat. Here are some symptoms of heat-related illnesses.
- Fireworks – The Fourth of July just passed, but many celebrations still involve fireworks at other times. Always use precautions when lighting small or large fireworks. Stay away from structures, people and always keep safety in mind.
- Campfires – Many summer nights are spent around campfires. Keep your distance from the fire and watch children closely. Smokey Bear shares his campfire rules – great rules to follow!
- Driving – Watch out for pedestrians, bicyclists, boats, campers and many people out enjoying the summer. Stay aware. Don’t be a distracted driver.
These tips may not be new to you, but a reminder can be helpful. Avoid accidents, trips to the emergency room, and insurance claims by being safe.
Looking for insurance coverage? Check out what we have to offer.Personal Insurance Information